You may observe a somewhat problematic stereotype in ’80s or ’90s family movies. Often, when braces are depicted on screen during this period, they are usually worn by a nerdy child or teenager. However, it’s important to recognize that orthodontic concerns are not limited to a specific age group!
So you might ask, “Am I too old for braces?” Reichheld Ting Orthodontics is here to tell you why the answer is no! We can provide braces at any age, no matter your situation!
How Do I Know If I Need Braces?
Our four incredible doctors have 50 years of combined orthodontic experience, and have made it their mission to serve the communities of Acton, Billerica, Lowell, and Westford. But what constitutes braces? They can be a solution for functionality or aesthetic purposes, but usually are due to the following problems:
- Cosmetic Considerations: An attractive smile remains appealing over time! As you age, it’s natural to consider addressing cosmetic issues related to your smile, as this can significantly boost your self-esteem.
- Health Advantages: Well-aligned teeth typically lead to enhanced overall oral health. Straight teeth are simpler to maintain, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease through effective cleaning.
- Orthodontic Challenges: A range of dental issues may require braces as the most suitable treatment option. Common problems include crowded teeth, spacing irregularities, or bite-related concerns.
After a thorough examination and discussion of your treatment goals, the RTO team will create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your specific desires and needs. We’re pleased to offer Invisalign in our offices, in addition to traditional options. As a highest ranked Top 1% Invisalign Provider, you can feel confident in getting the best care from the local professionals at RTO. Before and during treatment, we will work hard to make you feel assured and comfortable as you embark on this significant phase of your dental health journey.
A Treatment For All Ages
While your age may not affect your ability to get braces, there are several distinctions to consider. We will examine and differentiate certain aspects of braces, concerning a child’s experience from that of an adult. This knowledge will also benefit you if you are in an intermediate age group!
- Children: When it comes to treating children, traditional metal braces are generally our professional preference. They have proven highly effective in addressing a wide range of dental issues. Nevertheless, the doctor may suggest clear braces or aligners in certain situations, depending on the specific treatment plan.
- Adults: Adults often gravitate toward clear aligners or ceramic braces due to their less conspicuous appearance. Usually adults will have more volition in choosing the right option for themselves.
- Children: Braces can occasionally trigger confidence-related concerns in children. They might feel apprehensive about their appearance during the treatment and how their peers perceive them. Although the eventual outcome is rewarding, it can be challenging to visualize the end goal during the process. In these cases, clear aligners such as Invisalign can be a great option for kids committed to wearing them.
- Adults: Adults may encounter similar issues, but their perspective often differs. They may be more willing to see the long term advantages of having braces and can visualize what all of their hard work is going towards!
Challenges with Treatment
- Children: Children typically have more adaptable tissues and jawbones, making certain procedures more straightforward to execute.
- Adults: Adults may encounter challenges due to pre-existing dental treatments like implants which can’t be moved orthodontically. Moreover, their fully developed jaws can impose limitations on certain treatment alternatives making jaw surgery a sometimes necessary treatment option.
- Children: Orthodontic treatment for children serves a formative purpose. It aims to guide development and growth of the jaw while aligning incoming or already erupted permanent teeth. Braces at a younger age are often referred to as interceptive treatment, offering the advantage of resolving issues like crowding and bite problems before they become more extreme.
- Adults: In contrast, adults in this situation have had their teeth for longer. They may be interested in addressing long-standing aesthetic or orthodontic issues. As all their teeth are permanent, braces will primarily focus on aligning the existing teeth.
Oral Health and Compliance
- Children: Children usually need additional supervision and guidance to ensure they follow proper oral hygiene practices and dietary restrictions while wearing braces. Failing to maintain these healthy habits can hinder a successful treatment outcome.
- Adults: In general, adults tend to be more proficient at maintaining their oral hygiene, which often results in more positive outcomes and fewer complications throughout the treatment process.
Making You Happier With Your Smile
So, no matter your age, orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign might be in your future! You can meet our incredible team in our four offices across Massachusetts. All of the contact information for each office can be found here! Also, don’t forget to ask us about earning Sharky Bucks for yourself or your kids! Sharky Bucks are a great way to reward great patients over these courses of treatment which can be turned in for gift cards to popular places like Amazon and Target. Shark Nation forever!